Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The mission for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) program is to create competent, ethical, confident health care practitioners committed to professional development through life-long learning in a positive, non-discriminatory and supportive learning environment. The program emphasizes critical care nursing. All upper-division applicants to the bachelor program are required to declare B.S.N. as their major.
To meet the minimum requirements for consideration for acceptance to the B.S.N. program, applicants must:
- Must be graduate from an Associate Degree Nursing (A.D.N.) program.
- Submit a bachelor’s degree application (PDF) by the published term deadline.
- Satisfy the Bachelor of Science general admission requirements.
- Provide transcripts from Associate Degree in Nursing (A.D.N.) program. Eligible applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA from their A.D.N. program to be considered for B.S.N. program admission.
- Provide a letter of interest describing the reasons for your desire to pursue a B.S.N. degree and your future career goals.
- Two professional letters of recommendation from previous employers or nursing instructors.
- Be employed as a Registered Nurse with an associate degree and have a minimum of 2,000 hours experience.
- Provide documentation of the following:
- Copy of current Florida Nursing License
- Evidence of current CPR for adults, children and infants achieved through an American Heart Association approved Basic Life Support (BLS) Course for Health Care Providers that includes hands-on simulated experiences
- Documentation of at least 2,000 hours of clinical experience signed by current or previous employer(s) (within the last five years) in one of the following nursing specialty areas:
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Critical Care
- Emergency Room
- Operating Room/Recovery Room
- Or Other High Acute Care Area
- Health Education Systems (HESI) Nurse Exit Exam Score. Minimum score of 850 on the Health Education Systems (HESI)/Elsevier B.S.N. test (test scores are valid for one year from the date taken). For information on HESI testing times, contact the Donneshia Whitehead, 904.713.6014, North Campus Assessment Center or the Nursing Program office.
- A grade of “C” or better in English Composition II (ENC 1102) and Human Nutrition (HUN 1201).
Upon acceptance to the B.S.N. program, the following requirements must be met to begin the program:
- Copy of current malpractice insurance.
- Documentation of meeting the following health requirements:
- Current PPD or chest x-ray as appropriate
- Tetanus vaccination within the last ten years
- Positive titers for rubella, varicella, and hepatitis B or proof of immunization
- Health Certificate and Physical Exam Forms
- Copies of current criminal background check and drug screening
Submit Program Requirements to:
Dr. June Chandler, Interim B.S.N. Program Manager, Nursing Department, North Campus, Room C-102, 4501 Capper Road, Jacksonville, FL 32218 or deliver to North Campus, Room C-102.
Need More Information?
View Program Information and Contacts
Total Credit Hours: 120