Associate in Science
This program prepares students to pursue a career in aviation technical, administrative or management positions in public, private or government aviation operations. Students gain the knowledge and skills needed to become an airline business manager, airport manager or with admittance to the Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) program, an air traffic controller. Students entering the Air Traffic Control track will also receive the necessary training to meet entry level air traffic control requirements At the completion of this program, graduates are able to demonstrate proficient, entry-level air traffic controller operating techniques, procedures, and skills, understanding of air traffic regulations, as well as the regulatory responsibility and authority of the Federal Aviation Administration and awareness of current aviation issues and trends as it relates to the aviation industry.
The Aviation Operations AT-CTI technical certificate is a selective access track.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Employment Restrictions
FCCJ has no restrictions on age or physical conditions of students. However, students desiring to pursue a career in air traffic control should take note of the following FAA requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must pass an Air Traffic-Selection and Training (AT-SAT) or Office of Personnel Management (OPM) examination administered by the FAA.
- 30-year-old maximum age restriction for employment in terminal or en route options.
- Security screening background check
- Must meet the medical requirements of FAR 65 and 67 (FAA Class II Pilot medical while in a student status).
The ATC program requires extensive reading and interpretation of technical information. The ATC Specialist requires good hand/eye coordination and English language proficiency. Students should be aware that completing the program requirements does not guarantee employment with the FAA.
To meet the minimum requirements for consideration for acceptance to the Aviation Operations AT-CTI program, students must:
- Must be accepted for admission or be currently enrolled at Florida Community College.
- Have completed the Aviation Operations AT-CTI application by the application deadline for the term for which they are applying.
- Complete the prerequisites prior to the application deadline. A grade of at least a “C” must be achieved, and an overall GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
Need More Information?
View Program Information and Contacts
Total Credit Hours: 64